Are you part of the unlucky 40% of American’s who deal with cold sores on a regular basis? If so, you of all people know how frustrating and painful they can be. You have probably spent a good chunk of time researching hopeful solutions, from home remedies to over-the-counter products. Well here are some tips and tricks that really do work!
The best way to avoid cold sores is to know what causes them and what you can do to prevent them from coming in the first place. The two main causes of cold sores are exposure to rapidly changing weather and a weakened immune system. When you know a change in the weather is upon you, make sure to carry around your favorite lip moisturizer. Make sure you are getting a healthy amount of sleep each night, and maintain a healthy diet. Here are some helpful diet tips for cold sore sufferers:
- Raw fruits and vegetables are GREAT!
- Make a point to eat plenty of cruciferous vegetables (aka: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and kale)
- Try to avoid arginine, which is an amino acid that can be found in nutes, chocolate, oats, and some protein shakes.
TREATMENTS AND REMEDIES
- ICE! When you very first feel the cold sore coming on, wrap an ice cube in a paper towel and hold it to your lip until it melts, and then repeat the process one more time!
- Cold sores thrive in wet, moist environments. DRY IT OUT FIRST, then apply lip balm or cream to prevent splitting.
AVOID SPREADING THE VIRUS
- Keep from touching your mouth as much as possible from the moment the cold sore comes on until it is completely healed.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Avoid sharing foods, drinks, lip balm, and kissing
For the source of this information, and more details on cold sore solutions click here!
If you experience cold sores regularly, make sure to bring it up during your next appointment with Dr. Barney!
To schedule an appointment, visit Brookdale Dental’s website, call us at (208)373-0018, or stop by our office!
13219 W Persimmon Ln
Boise, ID 83713